Thursday, June 30, 2005

QUOTE FOR THE DAY

..as early as 1905.

"Mustafa Kemal recalled his first brief visit to the city on his way to Syria in 1905. 'At that time,' he said, 'I saw this beautiful quayside full of members of a race which was our sworn enemy, and I concluded that Izmir had slipped away from the hands of its true and noble Turkish inhabitants. But there was no way I could divulge this truth in those days.'"

Andrew Mango: Ataturk - The Biography of the Founder of Modern Turkey. The Will of the Nation: Figures in a Ruined Landscape, pp 217-218

3 Comments:

Blogger fultonphishmonger said...

I swear i will defecate on his Tomb.

11:35 AM  
Blogger fultonphishmonger said...

I swear i will defecate on his Tomb.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I'm always looking for more information that shows the brutality of the Turks. Its amazing how often they confess that aspect of themselves.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home